Bradisms

I'm a mountain but I'll get over it!

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Rafael, No. Cal., United States

Journaling conceptual design trends, mostly as "stream of consciousness" as encouragement. Environmental resolve will teach us peace. Paradox mediation provides the next healthy attitude.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

patient feelings

Red Thomas started the School For Expressive Arts in The 60's. At our reunion we talked about his experience with Alzheimer's. As a Professor of psychology, his interest in observing behavior were most insightful. As a musician he found a key to staying connected. When feeling lost, he sits at the piano and asks people to name songs. The memory for music is his favorite therapy.
When my mom told me she had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's symptoms, I assured her that her training as a social worker would allow observation be more coherent for her. she didn't victimize herself with regrets.. For over seven years she amazed her doctors, and everyone lucky enough to share her presence. My father's caregiving actually makes him seem healthier than that day I was told.
Honesty seems to be the factor I would most like to credit for memory effectiveness. Denial and deception depress energy. Willingness to remain open allows details to be recalled with something other that thoughts, "If you told the truth, you wouldn't HAVE TO remember what you said"*
*I remember Jerry Brown saying that to Governor Clinton at a primary debate in '92.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Charles Bergeman said...

"To be persuasive we must be belivable; to be believable we must be credible; credible we must be truthful."

Edward R. Murrow

11/8/06, 8:57 AM  
Blogger Bob said...

It's interesting the way you tie in different strands in each post.

I know someone with Alzheimer's disease. I am gradually getting used to her ways.

I believe music is very important in the treatment of this disease.

11/10/06, 3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home